Apply for a Job
FSIS offers a wide variety of careers, including jobs as inspection personnel in meat, poultry and egg products establishments; scientists in laboratories; investigators; data analysts; human resources; finance and budget; communications; and many more.
While FSIS strives to make applying for jobs as simple as possible, applying for a federal service position can be different than the private sector. This page provides you the steps to ensure you have a smooth transition to your new career with FSIS.
Applicant & Recruitment Resources
These customizable flyers can be used to share job information with prospective applicants or at recruiting events.
There are many benefits to Federal service, including hire-on bonuses; automatic pay increases; separate paid leave for vacation, sick leave, and paternity leave; retirement plans; and many more.
Steps to Apply
Step 1 - Build Your Resume in USAJobs.gov
Before you apply to any government position, you should create a detailed profile and resume in USAJobs.gov. All government positions are required to use this system for its application and hiring process.
You can build up to five different resumes in USAJobs.gov, so you can tailor your resume to the types of positions you plan to apply for. The resume building in USAJobs.gov helps ensure you won't forget relevant work information. Below are some resources to help you tailor and build your resume in USAJobs.
- USAJobs Help
- Resume Tip Sheet
- Resume Workbook - Part 1, including examples
- Resume Workbook - Part 2, including USAJobs walkthrough
Note: Private sector resumes tend to be very brief, but government resumes are much longer and should be more detailed.
Step 2 - Search for FSIS Jobs
FSIS posts jobs almost daily. You can view all of our positions on our Job Opportunities page. Below are some common searches you can save on USAJobs.gov to receive updates on FSIS positions.
- All FSIS positions on USAJobs.gov
- Food Inspector positions on USAJobs.gov
- Consumer Safety Inspector positions on USAJobs.gov
- Public Health Veterinarian positions on USAJobs.gov
Step 3 - Apply for FSIS Jobs
Before you click Apply on one of our positions, make sure you've read through, accounted for and are ready to submit your full application packet, including:
- Qualifications - Each position has a Qualifications section that will be used to evaluate your resume, so make sure the resume you submit describes all of your experience that demonstrates those qualifications.
- Required Documents - If you are applying under different hiring authorities (Veteran, Military Spouse, etc.) or are a current Federal employee, there may be different documents required for your application to be considered. Make sure you have the required documents in electronic format (PDF), so you can submit them when you apply.
Step 4 - Check Your Application Status
Through USAJobs.gov, you can login to your profile and check the status of your application at any time. Each job announcement also has contact information that you can use to check the status or ask questions. Give us a call! That's what we're here for.