Public Health Veterinarian (PHV)
Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) veterinarians hold critical positions that uphold the USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service’s (FSIS’) commitment to ensure food safety.
- Conduct antemortem and postmortem inspection of meat and poultry products.
- Conduct foreign animal disease surveillance.
- Supervise and assist food inspectors on the inspection line to ensure compliance with federal regulations.
- Conduct inspection of egg products.
- Enforce federal meat and poultry inspection procedures, including animal welfare laws.
What Does a PHV Do?
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- Health, dental, vision, life and long-term care insurance options
- Flexible spending accounts
- Federal government retirement plan
For more information:
Recruitment and Retention
- A multi-year recruitment incentive is available for newly appointed in-plant veterinarians to positions with a full performance level of GS-12 in all duty stations nationwide.
- This incentive is $5,000 per year for 4 years with a signed service agreement. The first payment is made after the first year of service is completed.
- Former employees with at least a 90-day break in service may also be eligible.
- FSIS currently is administering a retention incentive program for in-plant veterinarians. In-plant PHVs with 5-11 years of service as an in-plant PHV receive biweekly retention incentive payments. In-plant employees with 15 or more years of service receive a retention incentive after completion of key 5-year milestones after 15, 20, 25, and 30+ years of service.
- Newly appointed in-plant PHVs are eligible for a first post of duty move in accordance with Federal Travel Regulations.
- Creditable Service for Annual Leave Accrual (CSALA) may be granted for directly related non-Federal or military experience for leave accrual purposes, allowing those that meet the requirements to potentially be placed in a higher leave earning category than they would otherwise have been placed. CSALA must be granted prior to entrance on duty.
New job announcement has the following open & closing dates: 9/06/2022 – 9/29/2022.
How To Apply
Apply online at USAJOBS.gov. Enter "FSIS veterinarian" in the search box and you will see job announcements.